Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Free Space - Pinterest

I LOVE Pinterest. And, I love it even more now that I have organized my boards! Until recently, I had a small number of boards titled with academic subjects like "Math," "Science," "Literacy," etc. These boards each had hundreds of pins. I was unable to use Pinterest as efficiently as I could because I could not locate resources hiding in these boards. I made it my job to "undo" this mess by creating boards with more specific titles and fewer numbers of pins. I feared the job would take me weeks, but because of my Pinterest obsession, I managed it in just hours. My board titles now include:

Reading - Building the Reading Community, Guided Reading, Connections, Sequencing/Summarizing, Visualizing, Inferences, Cause and Effect, Story Elements, Schema and Synthesizing, Nonfiction, Poetry, Reading Notebook

Writing - Letter Writing, How-To Writing, Writing Notebook, Persuasive Writing, Writing Skills, Spelling, Vocabulary

Math - Addition, Subtraction, Place Value, Multiplication, Division, Time, Money, Measurement, Graphing, Fractions, Geometry

Technology - Technology in the Classroom, Digital Library

I also have boards for family communication, holidays, assessment and self-assessment, beginning and end of the year, classroom management, and more.

You can view my boards here: http://pinterest.com/pmc5h3/

My love of Pinterest has grown since this "cleaning." I am now using its resources even more, as I am able to save and find items. My hope is that this application will continue to improve. Because I now have so many boards, I would love to be able to "collapse" them into categories like one does on an iphone with apps. For example, the categories I have listed above. I hope this resource continues as I can see myself using it in future as so many resources have been saved.

No comments:

Post a Comment