Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Consuming Audio

During my first year teaching I did not use too much audio in the classroom, but so far this year, I have slowly incorporated it more and more. I started using Pandora, because it is a resource I am familiar with and have an account for. Sometimes during writing time I would play a soft classical station. I feel that it creates a peaceful writing environment. It also served as a management tool for keeping voices quiet - ability to hear the music. And...my kids really enjoy it! As the holiday season approached, I begain playing a station called "Instrumental Holiday." This was fun for students who were getting VERY excited about the holiday break.
I'm beginning to think about how I can use audio more specifically with our curricular content. For example, in the fall we learned about ecosystems and the rainforest. On a few days during work time, I played a youtube audio clip of rainforest sounds. Students also really enjoyed this and it brought some of our learning "to life." I hope to continue to think about new ways and methods in which to consume audio in the classroom. While students are interested, I feel that I enjoy it, too.
After our last session, I created a Spotify account, but I have not explored it further. I will continue to explore audio and its use with my students as I begin the new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment